Bas J Boukens was born in Hoorn on december 7, 1982. After studying Biomedical at the University of Utrecht, he started to work on his PhD-thesis at the Heart Failure Research Center, University of Amsterdam. He defended his thesis with honours in 2012. He first worked as postdoctoral researcher at the department of Anatomy, Embryology and Physiology, University of Amsterdam in early 2013 and afterwards at the biomedical engineering department of the Washington university (St Louis, USA) and George Washington University (DC, USA) in the lab of Prof. Dr. Igor Efimov (2013-2015).
Currently, Dr. Boukens is the assistant professor at the department of Anatomy, Embryology and Physiology, University of Amsterdam. The goal of his research is to understand developmental and molecular aspects of arrhythmias.
- Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences from Universiteit Utrecht (2007)
- Ph.D. from Academic Medical Center (2012)
- Postdoc at Washington University in St. Louis (2013-2014)
- Visiting Professor George Washington University (2015)
- Academic Medical Center (2015-Present)